Pre-Conference Certificate Programs
WORLD-CLASS TRAINERS DELIVER CONTENT-RICH CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
Training magazine presents Certificate Programs conducted by leading industry experts. These programs give you the essential knowledge, practiced techniques, and sound theories you need to become (and remain!) a top performer in your field. In the end, you’ll not only walk away with a certificate (and ebadge), you’ll also jumpstart your career and enhance your professional know-how. Additional fee required, see registration tab.
3-Day Certificate Programs
Friday, February 6 - Sunday, February 8
P01 Training Design, Delivery and Facilitation Certificate Program
Day #1: Creative Training Techniques and Participant-Centered Models
Bob Pike, Author, Creative Techniques Handbook
Learn how to create a high-impact, high-retention, high-application environment where everyone learns because of their total involvement. Discover how to achieve 90% retention, cut design time by 50%, and increase transfer by 75% with easy-to apply techniques that create results and can be immediately applied to your programs. Learn to:
- Create powerful new openings for your training.
- Use a seven-step process to transform your current courses into high-impact, learner centered courses.
- Ban lecture and choose 36 ways to add variety.
- Apply CPR and the 90/20/08 rule to all your training.
- Create valuable learning materials your participants will love to use.
- Create powerful new ways to demonstrate your training results.
Day #2: Making Training Stick by Applying Brain Science
Sharon Bowman, Author, Training from the BACK of the Room
Toss outdated training assumptions and explore the most current “cognitive neuroscience” that explains how humans naturally and normally learn. Begin using these principles immediately in your own classroom and eLearning instruction. You will:
- Apply six learning principles based on current brain research every time you train, regardless of the complexity of the topic, size of the group, or level of the learners.
- Demonstrate a variety of brain science elements using your own training topics, and dramatically increase learners’ attention, retention, and engagement.
- Create your personal trainer’s toolbox of easy-to-use, brain-based training strategies.
- Access a collection of new brain science resources to enhance your instruction, both in the classroom and online.
- BONUS! You’ll receive a copy of Sharon’s book, Using Brain Science to Make Training Stick.
Day #3: Designing and Conducting Training Games and Activities
Sivasailam Thiagarajan, Author, More Jolts! Activities to Wake Up and Engage Your Participants
Are you excited about training games and activities but anxious about losing control, wasting time, and being attacked by participants? Based on 20 years of field experience and research, Thiagi will share important secrets for effective training facilitation. Learn about:
- Textra games that bring your dull, dry handouts to life.
- Simulation games that use inexpensive materials and methods to reflect the realities of the workplace.
- Jolts that provide powerful insights and concepts.
- Seven critical dimensions of activities-based training and how to select, maintain, and balance appropriate levels of each.
- The importance of the debriefing process for linking the training game or activity to the workplace reality.
- A six-phase model for maximizing learning from experience.
This certificate program is designed for trainers, facilitators, and designers with all levels of experience.
NOTE: Attend this certificate plus five of the seven Training Boot Camp sessions and receive a special “Training Boot Camp” certificate signed by Lorri Freifeld, Training magazine’s Editor-in-Chief. See page Boot Camp for details.
P02 Instructional Design Certificate Program
Geoff Bailey, Senior Consultant, Friesen, Kaye and Associate
Discover the keys to creating interactive and engaging training that ensures learner success — whether in the classroom, online, or a combination of both. Take home electronic job aids and a detailed support manual to help you apply what you learned when you are back on the job. Through expert presentation, practical exercises, group discussions, and real-world examples, you’ll learn to:
- Incorporate adult learning principles, a systematic learning process, and a variety of processing methods to maximize retention.
- Accommodate different learning styles.
- Apply proven techniques for analyzing learner and organizational needs, and plan the design and development of training materials to meet those needs.
- Select the right training content and instructional strategy to support performance improvement for the target population.
- Strategize design time shortcuts.
- Plan a variety of presentation, application, and feedback methods.
- Align objectives and tests, and outline strategies to close any performance gaps.
- Create questions that enable learning, encourage retention, and test for understanding.
- Promote interactivity in classroom and online designs.
- Create a validation plan that ensures the training design meets the organizational needs.
BONUS! You’ll receive a 220-page Instructional Design Fundamentals Participant Manual plus case study documents, job aids, a Kolb Learning Styles Inventory and sample Self-Directed Learning Booklet. You’ll also receive a 184-page Support Manual full of instructional design guidelines, best practices, and templates with instructions for accessing the templates online.
P03 Articulate Storyline for Scenario-Based eLearning Certificate Program
Ray Jimenez, Chief Learning Architect, Vignettes for Training;
Kevin Thorn, Owner, NuggetHead Studioz
Learn to build step-by-step interactive stories, scenarios and experience-based learning. You’ll apply workshop templates, processes, and methods, and use Articulate Storyline software exercises to develop your own mini-projects. Learn how to:
- Embed learning objectives, content, work exercises, and applications.
- Use Articulate Storyline to transform engaging designs into intermediate and advance interactions.
- Leverage Storyline to create immersive and aesthetically enriching learning experiences.
- Planning Engagement — Prepare and develop engaging stories, scenes, events, and characters.
- Applications of Storyline — Master Slide’s hidden secrets, flexibility of an object’s states, and flexibility of layers combined with evaluating an object’s state.
- Designing Engagement — Developing models of scenarios and games.
- Applications of Storyline — Storyboarding an interaction design, custom drag and drop interactions with multiple feedback scenarios, combining interactive elements with video, and conditional programming with variables.
- Reverse engineering and “opening the hood” of ten application specific exercises and free sources files: scenarios, discovery and in-box exercises, games, etc.
- Creating seamless and “elegantly” produced Storyline codes — best practices.
And much, much more! Three jam-packed days of mind blowing fun!
BYOD: Laptop required, please bring a WiFi-enabled laptop with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint installed. If you do not already own Storyline Software, download the latest trial version from https://www.articulate.com no sooner than 20 days before class (so that it doesn’t expire before class begins). Additionally, if you are a Mac user, please visit the Articulate website to seek guidance with the software installation. All session materials (outline, agenda, job aids, etc.) will be available via download prior to the certificate.
No source .story files will be available prior to certificate as you will deconstruct, develop, and practice during the lessons. All files will be accessible that day and afterward. This certificate is not designed for new users rather those who are already comfortable with Storyline.
P04 Managing the Training Function Certificate Program
- Develop a vision, mission and function priorities statement.
- Prioritize and keep your sanity as a ‘department of one.’
- Use audit tools to benchmark your function.
- Use an eight step consulting approach.
- Use seven key consulting roles.
- Use a nine-part plan to build alliances and work successfully with line managers and employees.
- Gain management’s commitment to performance improvement.
- Use five diagnostic tools to determine performance problems.
- Contract effectively with your internal clients.
- Identify powerful yet simple techniques to market your training function.
- Evaluate and develop trainers using a 16 point competency tool.
- Use four tools to supervise and coach instructors.
- Evaluate and develop course developers using a 32 point competency tool.
- Use four design tools to supervise and coach course developers.
- Apply four tactics to improve learning transfer.
- Identify methods to cost justify training and monitor a training budget.
- Develop an action plan to get results.
BONUS: You’ll receive a Training Manager’s Tool Kit containing the Training Function Systems Audit as well as a 16-point Instructor Competency Inventory and a 32-point Course Designer Competency Inventory. CEUs are available for this certificate (for information, call 800.937.4698).
BYOD: Laptop recommended.
P05 Adobe Captivate for eLearning Certificate Program
Joe Ganci, President, eLearning Joe;
Pooja Jaisingh, eLearning Evangelist, Adobe Systems
Adobe Captivate is the most popular eLearning development tool. Now is your chance to learn Captivate (v8) and take advantage of its very latest features as well as those that have been around since the start. You’ll learn how to publish to HTML5, create drag-and-drop exercises, record system audio along with narration, reusable advanced action templates, and much more.
Over the course of two days, you will build a real eLearning lesson that you’ll be able to take back with you and customize to your needs. How cool is that? You’ll build a lesson that includes a soft skills sample and a software simulation built in a brand new way. Learn to:
- Combine text, audio, video and images.
- Add click-, drag-, and rollover-based interactions
- Add pre-built learning interactions and games.
- Use smart shapes to create your own buttons.
- Use Captivate’s new Responsive Design to create learning that works perfectly across desktops, tablets and smart phones.
- Add photographic and illustrated actor characters as mentors.
- Create a high definition video you can upload to YouTube.
- Create a pretest and set up partial and negative scoring.
- And, so much more! No more boring training.
With a little effort and guidance, you will be able to use and repurpose Captivate elements in your own lessons. Come prepared to learn and have fun!
BYOD: Please bring a WiFi-enabled laptop with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint installed. If you do not already own Adobe Captivate, download the latest trial version from www.adobe.com/products/captivate.html no sooner than 20 days before class (so that it doesn’t expire before class begins).
2-Day Certificate Programs
Saturday, February 7 - Sunday, February 8
P06 The Visual Story Certificate Program
Laura Wall Klieves, VP Academy, Duarte, Inc.
Persuasion is the currency of business communication—and those who master communicating through presentations and stories rise faster than their peers, reach more customers than their competitors, and turn ideas into groundswells. But presentations are broken. The only proof you need is sitting through the next presentation delivered by your colleague, your boss or your vendor. The presentation paradigm must be changed in order for all the brilliant ideas to be heard. But how? Based on Nancy Duarte’s award-winning books, Resonate and Slide:ology, this program establishes a new method of content development and presentation design that dramatically improves persuasive communication. You’ll learn to shape ideas into presentations designed to shift audience beliefs and behaviors in your organizations, communities, and world. In this hands-on program, you’ll learn about:
- The Power and Structure of Story.
- The Presentation Form — the shape of great communications.
- The Audience Journey — and your role as the presenter.
- The StoryMap — writing content that resonates with your audience.
- Visual clarity — to define Signal and Noise.
- Storyboarding techniques — quick sketching to try out ideas.
- Arranging elements for clear communication.
- Visual unity — applying design thinking to your presentations.
BONUS: You will receive a workshop kit, which includes job aids and copies of Nancy Duarte’s first two books Resonate and Slide:ology.
P07 Performance Consulting and Measuring ROI Certificate Program
Dick Handshaw, Chairman, Handshaw, Inc.;
Jack Phillips, Chairman, Patti Phillips, CEO, ROI Institute, Inc.
This certificate combines the skills of performance consulting with measuring results, including ROI, into one comprehensive program. Day one will focus on both the “science” (the analytical and assessment techniques) and the “art” (the consultative and partnering practices) of performance consulting. You will learn how to reframe a training request to connect the request to business needs and determine what additional analysis is needed, if any, to design useful solutions. And you will learn how to use a Gaps Map using ‘Should’, ‘Is’, and ‘Cause’ questions to define a total solution that will meet the required business goals. On day two you will be introduced to the Phillips’ V Model that equates the phases of performance consulting needs to the levels of measurement and evaluation. You’ll learn how to set objectives for application, impact, and ROI. A variety of data collection methods will be explored as well as how to analyze data and calculate ROI. Finally, you’ll explore how to report the results to key stakeholders. Learn to:
- Use eight proven principles to reframe a training request to align the request with business goals and explore opportunities for further analysis.
- Use a Gaps Map operational gaps, performance gaps, and causes to identify a variety of solutions to achieve a stated business goal.
- Collect data at four levels using a variety of methods.
- Analyze data, calculate ROI, and connect to the intangibles.
- Report the results to key clients, drive actions, and improvements.
P08 eLearning Design and Development Fundamentals Certificate Program
Kevin Siegel, President, IconLogic, Inc.
There are multiple tools available that will let you create compelling eLearning content including Adobe Captivate, Articulate Storyline, TechSmith Camtasia Studio, and Adobe Presenter. But which tool is the best, most affordable option for your needs? Once you select your eLearning tool, what’s next? How do you get started creating your first eLearning content? Once you start, how long is it going to take you to finish? What’s the real cost for your effort? Are there hidden costs? How will you be able to measure the effectiveness of your eLearning? Learn to:
- Identify the fundamentals of effective instructional design.
- See a demonstration of some of the top eLearning creation tools and how they compare.
- Outline the eLearning development process.
- Create a step-by-step storyboard/script.
- Create a voiceover script to support the eLearning lesson.
- Create an interactive simulation using an off-the-shelf eLearning development tool.
- Publish the eLearning content for the widest possible audience.
This is a tool-agnostic workshop…the concepts you learn will be applicable in any of the top eLearning tools you can buy off-the-shelf.
BYOD: Please bring your WiFi-enabled laptop pre-loaded with at least the trial version of Adobe Captivate, Articulate Storyline, TechSmith Camtasia Studio 8, or Adobe Presenter 9. You’ll also need Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint. The instructor will demonstrate how to create effective eLearning in each of the above eLearning tools, but you’ll get to work in your tool of choice.
P09 Coaching Skills Certificate Program
Tim Hagen, Author, Coaching: Corporate America’s #1 Weapon
Learn how to use coaching as a critical learning strategy to influence employee progress and drive performance. In this certificate program, you’ll learn how to become a coaching practitioner, partner, designer, and ambassador.
Day #1 will focus on Knowledge, Concepts, and Fundamentals where you’ll learn to:
- Expand and accelerate your career with coaching.
- Follow training with coaching.
- Get management to want to coach.
- Get management participation.
- Use “Bridge Coaching”.
- Become an internal coaching partner.
- Use eight coaching methods.
- Use three tiers of learning.
- Use “Questions and Progressions” to drive understanding and perspective as to where coaching can drive the greatest return on investment.
- Use a simple four-step process that makes every coaching session a success.
Day #2 will focus on Best Practice & Design where you’ll:
- Participate in practice sessions.
- Participate in one-on-one coaching sessions.
- Be scored by a peer using a coaching scoring feedback system.
- Learn to run and design a one-on-one coaching program and group coaching program.
- Design “Coaching Kits” managers can use after your training.
P10 Virtual Classroom Design and Facilitation Certificate Program
Jennifer Hofmann, Author, The Synchronous Trainer’s Survival Guide
Are you planning on converting face-to-face content to a live virtual classroom? Or do you just need a solid, practical foundation so you can be ready to create and deliver effective virtual learning? This program provides the building blocks for successfully designing, facilitating, and managing your live online classroom initiatives, while exploring the experience from the perspective of a learner, a designer, a facilitator, and a producer. You’ll apply instructional design methodology to create collaborative virtual exercises. You’ll look at the available features of two of the current virtual classrooms, Adobe Connect and WebEx Training Center, in order to better understand how to design for a virtual environment. You will also practice some of the skills needed to design for and facilitate in a live virtual classroom. Learn to:
- Fully utilize the collaborative features of a live classroom environment, including whiteboards, breakout rooms, polling, application sharing, and synchronized web browsing.
- Analyze the objectives of a prospective course to determine if delivery in the virtual classroom is appropriate.
- Create and critique whiteboard, chat, application sharing, web browsing and breakout room activity designs.
- Employ a simple four-step disaster recovery process in the virtual classroom.
BYOD: Please bring a WiFi-enabled laptop. Although this program is being delivered face-to-face, you will use both Adobe Connect and WebEx Training Center in order to better understand the environment.
P11 Brain Science for Learning and Behavior Change Certificate Program
Art Kohn, Consultant, AKLearning
In this energetic program, renown neuropsychologist, Art Kohn, explores 10 core principles that will help you understand how the brain controls learning and behavior change. On day one you’ll experience dramatic demonstrations which provide an exciting understanding of how the mind learns and retains new information. These tips will enable to create more effective training both live and online. On day two, you’ll take an advanced look at these principles and discover how to leverage neurological principles to create an effective training program that will produce sustainable behavior change both within the individual and your entire organization. This program is for anyone who is interested in the psychology and the brain, and it provides valuable information for all roles — from instructional designers to chief learning officers. Is your organization committed to learning and self-improvement? It will be once you understand these brain-secrets of learning and behavior change. Learn to:
- Create social learning communities that are based on psychological principles of observational learning.
- Use authoring tools more effectively by understanding how the brain encodes metaphor and emotion.
- Develop an incentive system that reinforces desired behaviors and that are based on established principles of conditioning.
- Improve employees’ attention within mobile learning by understanding the secrets to people’s levels of consciousness.
- Design effective “follow-up training” by tapping into mnemonic principles of memory.
- Deliver either visual messages or auditory messages based on an understanding of the brain’s dual-coding mechanisms.
1-Day Certificate Program
Sunday, February 8
P12 Kirkpatrick Four Levels Evaluation Certificate Program
Jim Kirkpatrick, Senior Consultant;
Wendy Kayser Kirkpatrick, President, Kirkpatrick Partners
The Kirkpatrick Model comprises the foremost evaluation methodology in the world. In this program, you will learn directly from the Kirkpatricks the true and correct methodology and how to apply it to maximize the business results from your training initiatives. During this program, you will learn the four levels, receive a participant manual filled with examples and templates that you may borrow and adapt to build your own tools, and gain a complete understanding of what each level measures.
You will also explore the reasons why evaluation is critical to training success and hear case studies and success stories from companies that have used the model effectively. You will learn not only how to evaluate, but why and to what degree. A unique feature of this program is the exploration of how to ensure that what is learned transfers to on-the-job behaviors. You will learn why training alone is not enough and receive guidance to make sure that what you teach actually gets used on the job. You will finish an action-packed, interactive program by creating a plan to ensure that your own learning transfers to on-the-job behaviors. After this session, you will be able to:
- Explain the elements of an effective program evaluation plan that maximizes business results and minimizes resources employed.
- Define the critical difference between effective training and training effectiveness.
- Evaluate programs using appropriate Kirkpatrick tools.