In-Depth Certificate Programs
Training magazine presents Certificate Programs conducted by leading industry experts. These 3-day and 2-day Certificate Programs give you the essential knowledge, practiced techniques, and sound theories you need to become (and remain!) a top performer in your field. In the end, you’ll not only walk away with a certificate of completion and an eBadge, you’ll also jumpstart your career and enhance your professional know-how.
Additional fee required.
3-Day Certificate Programs
Friday, Feb. 12 - Sunday, Feb. 14, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
P01 Training Design, Delivery, and Facilitation for Engagement Certificate Program
Day 1: Creative Training Techniques and Participant-Centered Models
Becky Pike Pluth, Author, Webinars with WoW Factor
Learn how to create a high-impact, high-retention, high-application environment where everyone learns through their total involvement. Discover how to achieve 90% retention, cut design time by 50%, and increase transfer by 75% with easy-to- apply techniques that create results and can be immediately applied to your programs. Learn to:
- Create powerful new openings for your training.
- Use a seven-step process to transform your current courses into high-impact, learner centered courses.
- Ban lecture and choose 36 ways to add variety.
- Apply CPR and the 90/20/10 rule to all your training.
- Create valuable learning materials your participants will love to use.
- Create powerful new ways to demonstrate your training results.
Day 2: Applying Brain Science to Make Training Stick
Sharon Bowman, Author, Training from the Back of the Room
Toss outdated training assumptions and explore the most current cognitive neuroscience that explains how humans naturally and normally learn. Begin using these principles immediately in your own classroom and eLearning instruction. You will:
- Apply six learning principles based on current brain research every time you train, regardless of the complexity of the topic, size of the group, or level of the learners.
- Demonstrate a variety of brain science elements using your own training topics, and dramatically increase learners’ attention, retention, and engagement.
- Create your personal trainer’s toolbox of easy-to-use, brain-based training strategies.
- Access a collection of new brain science resources to enhance your instruction, both in the classroom and online.
BONUS! You’ll receive a copy of Sharon’s book, Using Brain Science to Make Training Stick.
Day 3: Designing and Conducting Training Games and Activities
Sivasailam Thiagarajan, Author, More Jolts! Activities to Wake Up and Engage Your Participants
Are you excited about training games and activities but anxious about losing control, wasting time, and being attacked by participants? Based on 20 years of field experience and research, Thiagi will share important secrets for effective training facilitation. Learn about:
- Structured sharing activities that facilitate mutual learning.
- Interactive lectures that transform presentations into training tools.
- Textra games that bring your dull, dry handouts to life.
- Jolts that provide powerful insights and concepts.
- Seven critical dimensions of activities-based training and how to select, maintain, and balance appropriate levels of each.
- The importance of the debriefing process for linking the training game or activity to the workplace reality.
- A six-phase model for maximizing learning from experience.
DOUBLE BONUS! Attend this certificate plus five of the designated Training Boot Camp sessions (#106, #108, #113, #203, #208, #213, #C101, #C103, #C106, #307, #310, #312, #404, #411, #414, #501, #506, #511, #601, #602, #606, #702, #705, #709, #805, #811, #C204, #C205, #C212) and receive a special “Training Boot Camp” certificate signed by Lorri Freifeld, Training magazine’s Editor-in-Chief.
P02 Instructional Design Fundamentals Certificate Program
Geoff Bailey, Senior Consultant, Friesen, Kaye and Associates
Discover the keys to creating interactive and engaging learning programs that ensure learner success — whether in the classroom, online, or a combination of both. Using a case study, practice key steps in class and take home tools to help you apply what you learned back on the job. Through expert facilitation, practical exercises and group discussions, you’ll learn to:
- Incorporate learning and motivation principles into your designs.
- Follow a systematic learning process to ensure learning takes place.
- Select the right content for the right people.
- Plan a variety of presentation, application, and feedback methods.
- Align objectives and tests, and outline strategies to help learners close any remaining performance gaps back on the job.
- Write questions that engage the learners, test for understanding and encourage learning.
- Design interactive lessons that use a variety of processing methods to maximize retention.
- Create a validation plan that ensures learners achieve the desired performance improvement.
- Decide which design shortcuts have the least risk.
BONUS! You’ll receive a 220-page Instructional Design Fundamentals participant manual plus case study documents and job aids . You’ll also receive a 190-page Support Manual full of instructional design best practices, and instructions for accessing online templates, worksheets, checklists and look-up tables.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Course designers and developers with no formal instructional design training. Instructors and subject matter experts who are new to instructional design. Managers, performance improvement specialists and anyone else responsible for overseeing the creation or purchase of learning programs.
P03 Managing the Training Function for Bottom Line Results Certificate Program
Jean Barbazette, Founder; Maria Chilcote; Melissa Smith, Managing Partners, The Training Clinic
In this certificate program, you’ll focus on practical, useful and effective methods to manage the entire scope of your organization’s training effort. Learn to:
- Identify key training and development roles needed in your organization.
- Develop a vision, mission and function priorities statement.
- Prioritize and keep your sanity as a ‘department of one’.
- Use audit tools to benchmark your function and identify areas for improvement.
- Apply an eight step consulting approach that focuses on performance improvement.
- Use seven key consulting roles and identify appropriate use of each.
- Utilize a nine-part plan to build alliances and work successfully with line managers and employees.
- Gain management’s commitment to performance improvement.
- Use five diagnostic tools to determine performance problems.
- Identify essential elements of performance enhancement plans and training proposals.
- Contract effectively with your internal clients.
- Identify powerful yet simple techniques to market your training function.
- Evaluate and develop trainers using a 16 point competency tool.
- Use four tools to supervise and coach instructors.
- Evaluate and develop course developers using a 32 point competency tool.
- Use five design tools to supervise and coach course developers.
- Apply four tactics to improve learning transfer.
- Identify methods to cost justify training and monitor a training budget.
- Develop an action plan to get results.
PROJECT: Participants will complete and interpret at least 3 key areas of the Training Function Systems Audit, identify strengths, areas for improvement and develop an action plan to implement tools and skills learned in the workshop.
BONUS: You’ll receive a Training Manager’s Tool Kit containing the Training Function Systems Audit as well as a 16-point Instructor Competency Inventory and a 32-point Course Designer Competency Inventory.CEUs are available for this certificate.
BYOD: Laptop recommended but not required.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: This certificate program is designed for training managers, performance consultants, "departments-of-one" who run a training function for an organization or business unit, or those interested in joining their ranks. People in each of these areas will find this program engaging and full of proven ideas, tools, tips, checklists, and more. There are no pre-requisites for this course. Varied years of experience are welcome!
P04 Creating Interactive eLearning with Adobe Captivate Certificate Program
Joe Ganci, President, eLearning Joe; Pooja Jaisingh, eLearning Evangelist, Adobe Systems
Adobe Captivate is the most popular eLearning development tool. Now is your chance to learn Captivate 9 and take advantage of its very latest features as well as those that have been around since its introduction. You’ll learn how to publish to HTML5, create drag-and-drop exercises, record system audio along with narration, reusable advanced action templates, create multi-state objects, and much more. Over the course of three days, you will build a real eLearning lesson that you’ll be able to take back with you and customize to your needs. How cool is that? You’ll build a lesson that includes a soft skills sample and a software simulation built in a brand new way. Learn to:
- Combine text, audio, video and images.
- Add click-, drag-, and rollover-based interactions.
- Use multi-state objects and effects to build custom interactions.
- Create responsive eLearning courses that work perfectly across desktops, tablets and smart phones.
- Use eLearning assets to build courses.
- Record simulations.
- Create a high definition video you can upload to YouTube.
- Add pre-test, knowledge check, and quiz questions.
- And, so much more! No more boring training.
With a little effort and guidance, you will be able to use and repurpose Captivate elements in your own lessons. Come prepared to learn and have fun!
BYOD: Please bring a WiFi-enabled laptop with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint installed. If you do not already own Adobe Captivate, download the latest trial version from www.adobe.com/products/captivate.html no sooner than 20 days before class (so that it doesn’t expire before class begins).
INTENDED AUDIENCE: This certificate is for those wishing to learn to develop elearning. Managers will benefit from seeing the creation and development processes so they may accurately estimate course development time and cost.
P05 Designing and Developing Micro-eLearning Certificate Program
Ray Jimenez, Author, Scenario-Based Learning: Using Stories to Engage eLearners
We'll examine methods for micro-learning content design and delivery for the quick transfer of knowledge and application. This program is not about authoring or mobile software. It focuses on content development, design and delivery for elearning and performance support systems. At the end of the certificate, you will own examples and demos to serve as your models. In addition, you will be able to:
- Design shorter, succinct and chunked learning lessons and exercises.
- Use templates and design models to communicate your design approach.
- Present cost-benefit justifications for using micro-lessons, games and exercises.
- Apply micro-learning in compliance, technical, software, soft skills, and on-boarding.
- Identify challenges and opportunities for micro-learning demands.
- Understand the environments of on-the-move, on-the-job, and mobile learners.
- Measure impacts and benefits of micro-learning content in work efficiencies, cost reduction, and improved performance.
- Integrate micro-learning content in social learning, communities of practice, technical support, and performance support.
- Implement a Subject Matters Expert (SME) micro-learning content preparation process.
- Implement a conversion of existing large content into micro-learning approach and convert new content.
- Adapt and configure LMSs, Performance Systems, and social learning tools to facilitate micro-content delivery and tracking.
- Present a business case on financial impacts and returns of micro-learning design.
BONUS ITEMS! You will receive a free copy of Ray's book 3-Minute eLearning: Micro-Learning Design and Development along with demos, files, templates, forms, and examples of micro-learning to download for reference.
PROJECT: Participants will prepare a storyboard and wireframe of a small project.
BYOD: Please bring a WiFi-enabled laptop (with headset) with MS Office and at least 1 Gig of free space to copy files.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Learning, training and eLearning staff, team members and leaders. Subject matter experts (SMEs) who are responsible for implementing blended eLearning and training.Instructional designers who must convert content or create highly engaging eLearning. Trainers, presenters, designers and developers who need to add high interaction and engagement to their eLearning courses.Managers and leaders who must lead and manage the design and development of Story-Based Learning courses.
2-Day Certificate Programs Saturday
Feb. 13 - Sunday, Feb. 14, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
P07 Practical, Cost-Effective Video Production for eLearning Certificate Program
Steve Haskin, Chief Creator, Industrial Strength Learning
Streaming video content is everywhere and it’s becoming especially important in engaging our eLearners. We all need to step up our video game. But how do we produce great video with micro-budgets, little technical expertise, and short timelines? This certificate program will show you how to solve those problems. You’ll learn about:
- Making great video on a shoestring budget.
- Selecting the right video equipment and setting up a small studio.
- Video storytelling.
- Shooting and editing for the small and large screen.
- Planning a video (pre-production).
- Shooting great video (production).
- Techniques that will make your video a cut above the rest (post-production, forgive the pun).
- Integrating your videos into compelling, engaging eLearning courses.
PROJECT: You will shoot and edit an eLearning video as part of this course. We’ll end the course with a video showcase where a winner will be celebrated!
BYOD: You’ll need your laptop, pre-loaded with Adobe Creative Cloud programs including Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and Audition. These are the best programs, but you can use any video and audio editing programs you wish. Also, while you can use your phone as your video camera, a DSLR, point-and-shoot camera or a video camera is preferred. You’ll find out why during the online webinar!
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Anyone with an interest in or a need to create video for their eLearning courses.
P08 Designing and Delivering the Modern Virtual Classroom Certificate Program
Jennifer Hofmann, President; Karen Vieth, Facilitator, InSync Training
The virtual classroom has evolved, and expectations for quality are higher than ever. Is your organization ready to bring their virtual learning design and delivery to the next level to ensure it is meeting, and potentially exceeding, the traditional classroom experience? What do you and your designers and facilitators need to do to level up and become masters at their crafts given the trends of globalization, mobility, and social networking? By establishing a foundation of knowledge and skills in these areas, you can get ahead of the trends and create core practices in your organization. Bring your laptops, mobile devices, and your creativity. We’ll explore as much technology as we can while focusing on modern design and facilitation techniques. Learn to:
- Design virtual classroom activities that will engage learners with appropriate interaction and collaboration techniques.
- Design and develop a variety of instructional activities that utilize the whiteboard, chat, application sharing, web browsing, webcam, and breakout room activities.
- Keep participants energized, focused, and motivated throughout a modern learning experience by applying virtual facilitation techniques.
- Adjust your existing instructional design and facilitation skills to accommodate a global audience.
- Apply design strategies that maximize the live, mobile environment.
- Incorporate social media tools and networks into a virtual learning experience to accomplish formal and informal learning.
FINAL PROJECT: Approximately two weeks after the conference, you’ll reconnect online for a 2-hour hands-on session in immersive social activities where you’ll compare desktop and mobile learning environments.
BYOD: Please bring Wi-Fi Enabled Laptop AND one Wi-Fi Enabled Mobile Device (Smart phone or IPad) with ability to access sites like Facebook, Linked In, and Twitter, plus login IDs.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: This course is targeted towards those whose current or future job responsibilities include facilitating and designing virtual online sessions for internal or external clients in the virtual classroom.
P09 Moving from Training Provider to Trusted Advisor with Performance Consulting Certificate Program
Bob Pike, Author, Master Trainer’s Handbook
It's time to stop reacting to training requests and start meeting real performance needs. Learn to eliminate training that does not add value and start doing the right training, at the right time, for the right people, while identifying other performance solutions that will make you a trusted advisor within your organization. This program will provide a road map that will allow you to have “pain conversations" within your organization. You’ll learn:
- The 3 signals that performance improvement (not necessarily training) is needed.
- About the 6 parts of an organization impacted by performance gaps.
- 5 performance solutions to implement before doing any training.
- 10 strategies for getting management support for performance improvement.
- About the 3 people who most impact implementation of performance solutions—and how to engage them!
- 10 ways to tap the power of the right questions.
- 17 powerful performance improvement questions to ask.
- 5 leverage areas that accelerate organizational results—and why only 2 can be optimized at a time!
- 15 capabilities any organization needs to leverage for maximum results.
- How to create working agreements that actually work.
- How to lead effective focus groups and interviews.
- How to develop effective questionnaires and surveys.
- How to prove ROI for your projects (it's easier than you think!)
BONUS MATERIALS! You’ll receive a copy of Unlock the Power to Learn—Unleash the Power to Perform book by Bob Pike; a 125+ page Performance Consulting Workbook; a personal Training Transfer Action Plan; a Performance Solutions Cube; and much, much more ( we need to keep some surprises!!)
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Trainers, Training Directors, Chief Learning Officers, and Training Consultants who want to move beyond providing training to providing solutions that will return significant value to the organization. What you do will become an investment with significant return, instead of a cost.
P10 The Art of eLearning Design Using Storyline Certificate Program
Kevin Thorn, Chief NuggetHead, NuggetHead Studios?
Design starts on paper! The elearning design phase not only includes Instructional Design, but also Visual Design—two different disciplines. Articulate Storyline is the tool that fits in the middle. So where do we start? We start on paper away from the tools. When we're not distracted, we can think differently. When we think differently, we can design differently. By sketching our designs first, we can see the visual flow of instruction and refine those interactive behaviors during the storyboard process. Then we can apply specific aspects to our storyboards in preparation for development in Articulate Storyline. You will:
- Learn how to design a visual hierarchy of instructional flow.
- Design a visual library for storyboarding elearning projects.
- Create a set of design documents in preparation for development.
- Create a storyboard template specific to Articulate Storyline.
- Keep track of all your assets with a Storyline Style Guide.
PROJECT: This 2-day workshop will prepare you to design and create a set of storyboard documents that specifically match the development environment on day 1. On day 2 you will assemble your design in Articulate Storyline and begin to see the nuances of designing before development, helping you be a more efficient designer/developer.
BYOD: Please bring a WiFi-enabled laptop with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint installed. If you do not already own a licensed copy of Articulate Storyline, download the latest free trial version from http://articulate.com/storyline no sooner than a few days before class so you will have plenty of time to practice before it expires.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: This certificate program is for non-programmers who wish to learn basic to intermediate authoring features of Articulate Storyline. Managers may also benefit from seeing the creation and development process so they may more accurately estimate course development time and cost. A basic understanding eLearning is helpful.
P11 Measuring Learning Impact Using the Kirkpatrick New World Model Certificate Program
Jim Kirkpatrick, Senior Consultant; Wendy Kayser Kirkpatrick, President, Kirkpatrick Partners; Gerald Jones, Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton; Glenn Hughes, Senior Director of Learning and Development, KLA-Tencor; Keith Davis, Intelligence Analyst, Booz Allen Hamilton; Mollie Stanford, Supervisor, Design Team, Navy Federal Credit Union
The Kirkpatrick Model comprises the foremost evaluation methodology in the world. In this program, you will learn directly from the Kirkpatricks the true and correct methodology and how to apply it to maximize the business results from your training initiatives. During this program, you will learn the four levels, receive a participant manual filled with examples and templates that you may borrow and adapt to build your own tools, and gain a complete understanding of what each level measures. You will also explore the reasons why Blended Evaluation is critical to training success and hear case studies and success stories from companies that have used the model effectively—including from award winners of Training magazine’s Top 125. You will learn not only how to evaluate, but why and to what degree. A unique feature of this program is the exploration of how to ensure that what is learned transfers to on-the-job behaviors. You will learn why training alone is not enough and receive guidance to make sure that what you teach actually gets used on the job. After this session, you will be able to:
- Explain the elements of an effective program evaluation plan that maximizes business results and minimizes resources employed.
- Define the critical difference between effective training and training effectiveness.
- Evaluate programs using appropriate Kirkpatrick Blended Evaluation tools.
PROJECT: You will finish an action-packed, interactive program by creating a plan to ensure that your own learning transfers to on-the-job behaviors.
BONUS! Attend this certificate plus five of the designated Measurement sessions (#109, #211, #C107, #305, #403, #503, #514, #604, #613, #708, #715, #803, #806, #C208) and receive a special “Training Measurement” certificate signed by Lorri Freifeld, Training magazine’s Editor-in-Chief.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: This program is appropriate for all professionals who wish to understand how an effective program evaluation plan will maximize organizational value while minimizing resources employed, and demonstrate that value to key stakeholders. Participants come from corporations, government agencies, military branches, training companies and consulting firms. There are no prerequisites for this program. More experienced professionals report that this program teaches them new information they did not know about the four levels and corrects misinformation.
P12 Planning and Developing eLearning from Concept to Launch Certificate Program
Nick Floro, Learning Architect, Sealworks Interactive Studios
There are lots of tools, techniques and solutions for delivering elearning today. Whether you are new to elearning or you are currently an elearning designer, developer, or manager who is looking to reboot your elearning, don’t miss this workshop where you will learn the latest techniques, tools and work flows to create amazing learning experiences. This program is designed to give you real solutions that you can apply as soon as you get back to your office. You’ll start with how to define your project, sketching concepts, building a prototype, designing analytics into your solutions—then you’ll build your knowledge on key technologies that will help you plan and select the best tools to develop your ecosystem of learning. You will learn:
- About tools and apps for mobile, tablets, and desktop.
- To understand design and how to create amazing experiences.
- About prototyping tools and techniques.
- To use feedback loops to improve your solutions before you start development.
- About content strategies and architecting bite-sized learning.
- 5 Ways to improve your learning without breaking the bank.
- How to compress and optimize video-based content.
- HTML5 and why your team should add this to their toolbox.
- About designing mobile browser-based experiences vs a native app.
- About testing and iterating solutions.
BYOD: Please bring a WiFi-enabled laptop with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint or Keynote (Apple), HTML5 browser, HandBrake (opensource) and a Mobile Device with free app Prototyping on Paper.