3-Day Certificate Programs
Friday, February 9 thru Sunday, February 11 • 9:00 am-4:00 pm
Training magazine presents Certificate Programs conducted by leading industry experts. These Certificate Programs give you the essential knowledge, practiced techniques, and sound theories you need to become (and remain!) a top performer in your field. In the end, you’ll not only walk away with a certificate of completion and an eBadge, you’ll also jumpstart your career and enhance your professional know-how. Lunch is included each day. Held at the Georgia World Congress Center. Additional fee required, see registration page.
P01 Training Design, Delivery, and Facilitation for Engagement
In three days you will re-energize yourself, build your training toolkit, and learn how you can make an impact in your organization.
Day 1: Creative Training Techniques and Participant-Centered Models
Becky Pike Pluth, Chairman,
The Bob Pike Group
Learn how to create a high-impact, high-retention, high-application environment where everyone learns through their total involvement. Discover how to achieve 90% retention, cut design time by 50%, and increase transfer by 75% with easy-to-apply techniques that create results and can be immediately applied to your programs. Learn to:
- Create powerful new openings for your training.
- Use a seven-step process to transform your current courses into high-impact, learner-centered courses.
- Ban lecture and choose 36 ways to add variety.
- Apply CPR and the 90/20/10 rule to all your training.
- Create valuable learning materials your participants will love to use.
- Create powerful new ways to demonstrate your training results.
Day 2: The Seven Separators of Great Facilitation
Michael Wilkinson, Author,
The Secrets of Facilitation
Every facilitator needs to know about establishing ground rules, using the appropriate tools and maintaining a safe environment. But are there a set of skills that seem to distinguish the best facilitators from the rest of the pack? Yes! In day two, you’ll explore a methodology for facilitation and learn to:
- Establish and maintain a high energy level.
- Ask starting questions that draw a vivid image.
- Have a full toolkit of follow-up question types.
- Respect the “power of the pen.”
- Carry the group through the process.
- Prevent, detect, and resolve dysfunction.
- Isolate and address sponsor’s key needs.
Day 3: Designing and Conducting Training Games and Activities
Sivasailam Thiagarajan, Author,
More Jolts! Activities to Wake Up and Engage Your Participants
Are you excited about training games and activities, but anxious about losing control, wasting time, and being attacked by participants? Thiagi will share important secrets for effective training facilitation. Learn about:
- Structured sharing activities that facilitate mutual learning.
- Interactive lectures that transform presentations into training tools.
- Textra games that bring your dull, dry handouts to life.
- Jolts that provide powerful insights and concepts.
- Seven critical dimensions of activities-based training and how to select, maintain, and balance appropriate levels of each.
- The importance of the debriefing process.
- A six-phase model for maximizing learning from experience.
P02 Managing the Training Function
Jean Barbazette, Founder;
Maria Chilcote, Melissa Smith,
The Training Clinic
In this certificate, you’ll focus on practical, useful and effective methods to manage the entire scope of your organization’s training effort. Learn to:
- Identify key training and development roles needed in your organization.
- Prioritize and keep your sanity as a ‘department of one.’
- Apply an eight step consulting approach that focuses on performance improvement.
- Use seven key consulting roles and identify appropriate use of each.
- Utilize a nine-part plan to build alliances and work successfully with line managers and employees.
- Use five diagnostic tools to determine performance problems.
- Identify essential elements of performance enhancement plans and training proposals.
- Contract effectively with your internal clients.
- Identify powerful yet simple techniques to market your training function.
- Evaluate and develop trainers using a 16 point competency tool.
- Use four tools to supervise and coach instructors.
- Evaluate and develop course developers using a 32-point competency too.
- Use five design tools to supervise and coach course developers.
- Apply five tactics to improve learning transfer.
- Develop an action plan to get results.
PROJECT: Participants will complete and interpret at least three key areas of the Training Function Systems Audit, identify strength, and areas for improvement, and develop an action plan to implement tools and skills learned in the workshop.
BONUS! You’ll receive a Training Manager’s Tool Kit containing the Training Function Systems Audit as well as a 16-point Instructor Competency Inventory and a 32-point Course Designer Competency Inventory. CEUs are available for this certificate.
BYOD: WiFi-enabled laptop recommended.
P03 Learning Evaluation & Measurement: Proving Business Impact
Patti Phillips, CEO,
Jack Phillips, Co-Authors,
The Business Case for Learning, Handbook of Training Evaluation and Measurement
In this certificate program, you will build the basic skills needed to demonstrate the impact and ROI of your programs and projects. You will learn the five critical success factors that make evaluation work and how to apply them in your organization. Specifically, at the end the program you will be able to:
- Categorize your results along the five-level evaluation framework.
- Align your programs with the needs of the business.
- Develop program objectives beyond learning objectives.
- Collect data using the most effective approach given your project.
- Isolate the impact of your program on results.
- Convert business measures to money.
- Tabulate the fully-loaded costs of your programs.
- Calculate the benefit-cost ratio, ROI, and payback period.
- Identify intangible benefits.
- Report results so that they resonate with stakeholders.
- Seamlessly integrate evaluation into your learning strategy.
- Forecast ROI at different time frames.
PROJECT: During the three days you will begin planning the evaluation of one of your programs.
BONUS! You will receive a copy of the book Real World Training Evaluation along with a detailed workbook, fold-out model of the ROI Methodology, application guide describing the 10-easy steps to ROI, case studies, and other tools and resources.
P04 eLearning Bootcamp: Getting Up and Running — Fast!
Diane Elkins, President,
If you are new to eLearning, it can be hard to know where to start! What’s a storyboard? Do you need an LMS? How long does it take to create a course? How much does it cost? If these are the types of questions you have, then this is the right course for you. Learn about everything from concept to execution. You’ll walk away with a good foundation about the strategy, planning, design, development, and launch of eLearning courseware. You’ll learn:
- The different types of eLearning.
- The advantages and disadvantages of eLearning.
- How to build a business case for eLearning.
- What goes into a project plan, how to gather requirements, and what key design and technology decisions need to be made up front.
- What goes into a storyboard.
- The types of activities and quizzing you can include.
- How to plan effectively for media.
- How to work with subject-matter experts and reviewers.
- How to convert classroom training to self-paced eLearning.
- What types of authoring tools are available out there.
- What it takes to build a course using a rapid development tool.
- What to do with your course once it is finished.
- How to design specifically for the virtual classroom (webinar) format.
- What you need to know about virtual classroom platforms.
BYOD: WiFi-enabled laptop required.
P05 Designing and Developing eLearning with Adobe Captivate
Joe Ganci, President,
Pooja Jaisingh, Chief Learning Geek,
With Captivate’s powerful features, you can create and deliver the best instructional designs to your learners, but only if you know how to use those features! Now is your chance to learn the latest version of Captivate. You’ll be amazed at what you’ll be able to accomplish after only three days! Learn how to publish your lessons so they look and work perfectly on both desktop and mobile devices using Captivate’s new fluid boxes. You will build a real eLearning lesson that you’ll be able to take back with you and customize to your needs. How cool is that? Brand new to Captivate? No worries, you won’t get lost in this class. Have some experience with Captivate? Don’t worry, you won’t get bored. Exercises are tiered so you can work at your level and you can work your way up those levels too! You’ll:
- Start with combining text, audio, video, photographic and illustrator actor characters, and images appropriately—and learn all the options you have with each.
- Discover how to make your learning truly engaging with interactions of all types: Smart Shapes, Text Entry Boxes, Buttons and Click Boxes, wizard-based interactions, and add cool gamification options where appropriate.
- Use Captivate’s cool Fluid Design options to create learning that works perfectly across desktops, tablets, and smartphones. If you’re not yet designing lessons that are responsively designed, you soon will be!
- Learn the ins and outs of successful software simulations and also create a high-definition video when software simulations just won’t suffice.
- Investigate all of the quizzing, pretest, and knowledge check options Captivate offers and your options for SCORM and xAPI.
- Advance to writing easy scripts to make your lessons really shine and allow you to work faster and more easily and make your lessons more maintainable.
- Determine along the way the little secrets that are not well known by so many Captivate developers that make the difference between novices and speed demons!
BYOD: Bring your Windows or Macintosh laptop with the latest version of Adobe Captivate installed (trial version is fine as long as it won’t expire before the end of class), and a mouse.
P06 Master Trainer: Take Your Training to the Next Level
Bob Pike, Founder,
This program—both strategic and tactical—will give you the tools and the roadmap you need to ensure you are doing the right training, at the right time, with the right people, in the right way. This is a “learn and apply” session. Bring a program you want to revamp and you’ll take what you learn in class and apply it immediately. You’ll:
- Learn 117 ways to design and deliver training and performance improvement faster, better, and easier.
- Examine five performance solutions other than training—and how to have a conversation that focuses on the results to be achieved.
- Explore five capabilities all organizations leverage to achieve results — discover just which ones your organization focuses on. You’ll also explore the 15 competencies that can help drive these capabilities.
- Explore more than 163 practical strategies for ensuring the transfer of training—and pick specific strategies to apply to your own training programs.
- Learn about the three people who most impact transfer of training.
- Apply C.O.R.E. strategies to your training.
- Explore five ways to kill adult learner motivation and 11 ways to motivate adults.
- Learn nine ways to effectively teach across generations and cultures.
BONUS! You’ll receive a copy of Pike’s Master Trainers Handbook, a 160-page Master Class Train-the-Trainer Workbook, a personal Training Transfer Action Plan, and your own copy of Bob’s Performance Solutions cube.
PROJECT: Bring a training program and in these three days you’ll retool it, and take it to the next level.